The Right Tool for the Job: Content Layout in Drupal 8
As a site builder, have you ever encountered a wireframe or design that’s caused you to take pause and wonder, “how am I going to build this thing?” I have. In fact, it’s been my experience that there’s rarely a clear-cut solution for producing a Drupal layout that’s both complex in arrangement and easy to edit.
When you find yourself at this crossroads, it’s important to have a broad understanding of the many tools available that will help meet your goals as a site builder and your clients’ goals as an editor.
In this talk, we’ll cover the differences, use cases, and advantages/disadvantages of a variety of layout options:
- Display Suite
- Twig templates
- WYSIWYG / CKEditor templates
- I’ll walk through layout decisions I’ve made on a couple of production Drupal 8 sites.
- We’ll also analyze a real design and talk through the pros and cons of different build plans.
Questions we’ll address along the way:
- How will my site building decisions impact a frontend developer?
- Will the content be straightforward for an editor to maintain?
- Should this layout offer flexibility or a standardized viewing experience?
After attending my session, you’ll be better equipped to create a Drupal 8 layout that makes most sense for both you and your clients.